Monday, September 1, 2008

'Burnt Orange' Velvet Cupcakes: Attempt #1

It's the last weekend of summer, but the first weekend of college football, so there was plenty reason to celebrate. Accordingly, I baked some cupcakes to help ring the inaugural game of the 2008 Texas Longhorn football season. One of the benefits of living in Texas again is I can actually watch my Longhorns play as opposed to be subjected to the inferior ACC conference weekend after weekend (no offense to fans of the ACC).

This summer, after baking a red velevet cake, I formulated an absolutely genius idea: 'burnt orange' velvet cupcakes. If I can make a cake red, surely I can make it orange? You might be able to guess the results from the title of this entry. Burnt orange cupcakes...still red.

They're still red...


but they looked cute!

My real goal is to get it right by Oct. 11 (TX-OU weekend). I think Attempt #2 will be next weekend and I already have some ideas on how to change the color so stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need a cupcake! Looking good Meggie- Keep up the good work! Aoe- Jersey

pixiedust said...

Why not make a white cake and use burnt orange food coloring again? That might be a little easier and you wouldnn't have to force yor roomie to eat more cupcakes!