Monday, September 8, 2008

'Burnt Orange' Velvet Cupcakes: The Sweet Smell (and taste) of Success

I did it! After last weekend's somewhat failed attempt (I can't call it a complete failure because it helped in making this weekend's success) I was determined to get it right. Appropriately, my adventures in cupcake coloring took place during the UT game so we could indulge in a sweet treat to celebrate Texas' commanding win. Let's just hope we can (and by we, I mean Mack Brown and the Longhorns) be this successful all season long. Because I don't think I can take losing to OU this year.

I've been talking about the burnt orange cupcakes for quite a while now. Some people questioned why I insisted on turning red velvet burnt orange instead of simply making a white batter and coloring it orange. My reasons were three-fold:
  1. I am stubborn and determined. I decided that I wanted burnt orange velvet and I wasn't going to stop until I got burnt orange velvet. Luckily, it only took two tries;
  2. I like the rich flavor of red velvet; and
  3. There is something satisfying about taking something red and transforming it to burnt orange (because it all goes back to the old college rivalry. OU sucks!).

Looks like I'm off to a good start...


Perfectly burnt orange


Texas Fight!

Now that I have the perfect cupcake recipe for football season I can focus on other things. Like school. We start baking in Fundamentals tomorrow!

6 comments:

Tom said...

Recipe?

Anonymous said...

looks good... yummy in my tummy

Jersey

Anonymous said...

I love this post.

Anonymous said...

The sweet smell of success!

Mom

lrintex said...

As you know this is a huge weekend!!! I would love to know how you made these cupcakes a PERFECT Burnt Orange!! Huge party to attend and I want to make these. I was thinking of doing them in mini cupcakes.

Unknown said...

O please share. We live in Ohio and Dh and DS love to toss their Texas orange around all these buckeye fans.