Tuesday, March 3, 2009

JELLO Puddings

Let me start by saying this was by far my least favorite week (if weeks were strictly decided by desserts). We made several different types of puddings and souffles. It is always fun to learn how to bake different types of deliciousness, but I am not going to lie, it's a little bit more fun when I enjoy what I eat taste.*

I will rank in order of yummyness:
  1. Savory Souffle (aka Cheese Souffle) who doesn't lurve baked eggs and cheese?!
  2. Caramel Sauce ok, technically NOT an individual dessert, but was perfect for dipping apple slices
  3. Steamed Blueberry Pudding I was totally surprised this was sooo good
  4. Chocolate Bread Pudding as a chocoholic, I was disappointed I didn't enjoy this more
  5. Chocolate Souffle see above note. Chocolate and eggs - not a winning combo
  6. Rice Pudding it wasn't horrible, but the texture was just weird


Savory Souffle

Souffle Anecdote: In the bakeshop we have several smaller size mixers (think KitchenAid size as opposed to the larger 12 quart mixers we use for most everything else) that we use a lot for whipping creams & egg whites. On this particular day, there were not enough whips (the whisk looking attachment) and instead of waiting for one to become available I decided to start whipping the egg whites by hand. Lemme tell you, it was certainly an arm work out, but I got the whites to stiff peaks and the souffles turned out great! I know it's not really a major feat, but in this day and age where we depend on electronics for everything I felt rather accomplished.


Rice Pudding


Individual Rice Pudding Portion


Caramel Sauce

Caramel Sauce Anecdote: This caramel sauce looked too good to use just for rice pudding (which as I mentioned was texturely unappealing). The Subway at school sells apple slices so me and another group member took a little field trip to Subway during class so we could enjoy a tasty snack. It was worth every penny.


Chocolate Bread Pudding


Individual Bread Pudding Portion


Steamed Blueberry Pudding

Steamed Blueberry Pudding with Hard Sauce

I had never heard of steamed blueberry pudding, but this was really good. It's basically brown sugar, butter, bread crumbs, milk & blueberries (with small amounts of eggs, cinnamon and flour). We topped it with a hard sauce which is very similar to a buttercream frosting, but with a higher percentage of butter. The hard sauce melted on top of the blueberry pudding creating a really nice rich flavor.

Up Next: Ice Creams!! And lots of plate presentations....

*I would like to say I can just taste the items we bake in class, but that would be a flat out lie. I do have a sweet tooth, and recently it has been a little out of control so for Lent I gave up sweets (quelle horreur!). The provision is I can only TASTE in class.

1 comment:

Flower said...

i love your blog.im actuslly attending the art institute of santa monica c.a in july to study baking/pastry arts.Keep upp the good work.
Ps.Follow me @ www.flowerssworldd.blogspot.com
:)
please&thank you