Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sooo Good...

I have fallen behind a little bit in the blogging lately, mostly because I have been doing a lot of baking - at home and in the bakeshop. At least there is lots to share.

Several months ago Jacque requested an Andes Mint Cheesecake for her birthday and because she is such a great friend I was happy to oblige. Her birthday was a couple weeks ago, but she has been traveling a lot recently so this past weekend was the perfect opportunity to bake it.


Andes Mint Cheesecake


Andes Mint Presentation

This is the second time I have baked the Andes Mint cheesecake and I was pretty pleased with the outcome. The oven I used was not the best and caused some issues with baking time, but it all worked out eventually. I did get a little more creative with the presentation this time and even made some fresh whipped cream for the cake. I think it looks pretty darn cute.

Monday and Tuesday in the bakeshop I was back to baking breads - quick and yeast. Monday we prepped our yeast dough for Tuesday class. Both doughs were made using a Sponge Method which basically increases the fermentation process, adding more flavor to the final product. After our doughs were done, we made our quick breads: Irish Soda Bread and Popovers (the pic below is kinda blurry).


L: Irish Soda Bread, R: Popovers

On Tuesday, we came in ready to bake some bread after our dough had the chance to ferment overnight. We made French bread again, but as I mentioned above, we used a different mixing method. I really can't say enough about have fresh, homemade French baguettes.

French bread

The second dough we made was the rich sweet dough which we used to make cinnamon rolls. I can't even tell you how delicious they were. We made a honey pan glaze for the bottom of the pan that melted as the rolls baked to give some added flavor; we made a clear glaze to give the rolls some extra sheen; and we made the flat icing to drizzle over the rolls to add both color and flavor. I am usually on top of taking pictures of everything, but I was so excited about the cinnamon rolls I totally forgot about taking a pic until I had it all bagged up. I'm thinking this recipe might make an appearance in North Carolina over the holidays.


Cinnamon Rolls

No comments: