Monday, January 19, 2009

Dessert Party Recipes: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Bourbon Whipped Cream

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Bourbon Whipped Cream

I believe my oven woes have been well documented, so I was determined to make a cheesecake when I went home over the holidays. When we decided to add a second cheesecake to the menu, I asked for some suggestions and my brother wanted Pumpkin. I made this cheesecake the previous year for Thanksgiving; it's a great Paula Deen recipe. I thought adding a fresh bourbon whipped cream would enhance the flavor. Unfortunately, I failed to try the cheesecake with the whipped cream because I don't really like pumpkin flavor.

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE

Crust:

1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick salted butter, melted

Filling:

3 8 oz. packages cream cheese
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1/4 cup sourcream
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

For Crust:
Combine crumbs, sugar and cinnamon
Add melted butter
Press into 9-in. springform pan

For Filling:
Beat cream cheese until smooth
Add pumpkin puree, eggs, egg yolk, sour cream, sugar & spices
Add flour and vanilla
Beat together until well combined
Pour mixture into crust

Bake for one hour. Remove for oven and let sit for 15 mins.*

*Once the cheesecake has finished baking I like to turn the oven off and let the cheesecake sit in the oven for an hour with the door ajar to prevent cracking.

BOURBON WHIPPED CREAM

1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon bourbon

Procedure:

Whip cream and sugar until stiff peaks form
Fold in bourbon


2 comments:

Meg said...

This looks so good, as well as all your other creations, Megan! I had to come find you to tell you I had a dream with you and Jacque in it the other night! SO BIZARRE, I'll tell you about it on Facebook.

Hope all is well! Can't wait to catch up.

AOE,
Meg

HeatherBakes said...

Hey Megan- Okay, I LOVE your blog. Especially the Hungry Hungry Hippo cake (yes, I went back that far- is that sad?). I'm excited to have such an obviously talented group member this semester :)